How does one adequately prepare for or describe a return to a country after a year's absence? In many ways, Qatar feels the same and yet, there is something entirely different about this experience. For this reason, I titled today's post "Same-Same, But Different," a commonly heard phrase here.
I am amazed at how much I remember about the city. I recall the names of shops, streets, names of tailors, etc. However, much has changed in the past year, both within me and the country. Without waxing philosophical or being too introspective, I will ignore the personal changes and will instead focus on those of my experience here thus far. For one, there are many building which have been demolished and many buildings which are newly constructed. It is amazing to see the rate of progress that has happened here. There are even new roadways, which make navigating the city to and from Education City much easier. From the view at Education City, I can most easily see the rapid growth of the female residence halls (whose enabling works are rapidly progressing), Sidra (the new teaching hospital), and the glass and addition to the convention center. It is amazing.
Besides these obvious changes to the infrastructure, the Same-Same, But Different phenomenon manifests itself in the fact that I will be in Qatar for a longer commitment. Many of the experiences of coming back, including packing, the flight, settling in, and other tasks are deeply reminiscent of May last year and yet somehow they are different. I know that I am settling in to make a life for a couple years. I am renewing friendships and reacquainting with colleagues. I am excited and look forward to the adventures that lay ahead.
I realize this post has been light on detail. Fear not, those posts will soon come inshAllah. I fear that of late I have been too busy reflecting and processing to share more specific details about the journey.
Be well.
Moyn - Gerontocracy in America
1 week ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment