It's hard to believe that in two short weeks I will be on my way to Qatar. So much has happened since I have accepted this position that it is hard to believe that it's finally here. I can't believe how incredibly quickly this semester has flown and now over the next 14 days, everything is wrapping up.
Due to the busy nature of this semester, I seem to have glossed over everything that I needed to accomplish to prepare for the internship. There are certainly some tasks which are not necessarily noteworthy: signing up for international insurance, writing a paper for the office of international education explaining my safety precautions, and making sure I have suitable luggage. However, there have also been several very interesting tasks to accomplish.
International Driving Permit: Did you know that for a mere $15 AAA will issue an international driving permit. I did not, until about two months ago. All that is needed is a copy of your driver's license and two passport quality photos and voila, you can drive in another country. This thing is valid in over 150 countries. Apparently, these countries have entered into an agreement to honor each other's driving permits when accompanied by this special permit.
Oral Vaccines: I had no idea that such a thing existed, but when I when to receive my inoculations for the trip, I was present the option of either a shot or a pill. Wishing to to avoid another prick in the upper arm (I had already received a shot for the Hepatitis A series) I chose the pill. Not only does this result in one less puncture wound, but the vaccination actually last longer. You store the pills in the refrigerator and take one pill every other day over the course of a week for a total of four pills. Apparently, the hardest part about this vaccination is remembering to actually take the pill. I left the travel clinic with several stickers, brochures, a magnet, and an orange Livestrong-esque bracelet, all with the sole purpose of reminding me to take the pill. Ahh, the wonder of modern medicine.
Those are probably my two most impressive discoveries - I'm sure I will remember more in the future. I shall wrap up with the info that I received my visa last week via email (thank you technology) and received a list of possible projects for the summer today. I'm vary excited. I continue to be impressed by the Qatar Foundation's desire to ensure that I have a positive learning experience. I can't wait to share more stories in the future.
Be well, Live well.
Moyn - Gerontocracy in America
1 week ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment